view lightboxview listview single item

Photo credit: Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art, Cornell University

IMPORTANT: Images displayed via this interface may NOT be reproduced without the express permission of the artist or the artist's representative. Please contact the Johnson Museum with any questions regarding image rights and reproduction.

Title: Winged goat or bovine figure with seven birds sprouting from body
Medium: Stoneware
Dimensions: Height: 8 1/2 inches (21.6 cm)
Credit Line: Gift of Clara K. Seley
Object Number: 88.064.008
Label Text: Religion and spirituality figure prominently in Haitian life—in politics and education as well as arts and culture. The US Department of State reports that approximately 80% of Haitians identify as Roman Catholic, while the remaining 20% are mostly affiliated with Protestant denominations. Simultaneously, according to this report, “Voodoo is practiced alongside Christianity by a large segment of the population.” Judaism, Islam, Freemasonry, and other beliefs are also extant.

In this context, it seems reasonable that certain of these works may embody sacred symbolism—if not relating to Voudou, specifically, then perhaps reflecting broader, more animistic thinking. ("The Best Way to Prepare Bananas: Fruits of the Soul from the Permanent Collection," curated by Matt Conway and presented at the Johnson Museum June 24-August 13, 2017)

NOTE: This electronic record is compiled from historic documentation which may not reflect the Johnson Museum's complete or current knowledge of the object. Review and refinement of such records is ongoing.